fitchwitch (fitchwitch) wrote in stash_challenge,

  • Mood:

Iron Dress the Fourth!

Tonight I started gathering together the fabric, patterns and materials I'll need for the Iron Dress competition.  It starts on April 1, 2012 and I have to finish everything by July 1, 2012.

For Iron Dress I want to make an outfit that consists of a doublet, sleeves, skirt, overskirt, and forepart.  I have some red linen I can use for the overskirt, some black wool left over from my black loose gown I can use for the doublet, and some black/gold silk brocade that I can use for the forepart, and possibly for the sleeves.  I have lots of gold piping I can use to decorate it, as well as some red cabochons that will be used on the forepart and sleeves.  If I have time, I'll make a shirt with frills; if not, I'll fake them at the neck and wrists.  I tend to accumulate fabric and trim in the colors of red, gold and black, so I should have ample stuff for the challenge, and I have a corset and hoop skirt already.  The two loose gown and kirtle sets that I've already made from Margo's comfort package were both stash dresses made from hoarded or left over fabric, so I'm used to making do with what I have.  I just hope that I can do the challenge along with everything else I have planned for this season.  (I still have the Borgias dress to finish, two doublets for Alex, an Italian robe for Mike, and a wool cape for me.  I can put off the Italian robe and wool cape until later in the fair season, but I need to finish the doublets before fair season really starts in June.  And I have a vest/skirt set of mundanes that I'd really like to make for the summer season also.)  It's going to be a challenge.

I figure if I force myself to do just a little each night starting on April 1, I should be able to complete the challenge.  Wish me luck!

I gathered together the fabric/trim for the Iron Dress Competition and put them into two Current Project baskets.  I was very happy that I did have the red cabochons and rim settings for the sleeves and the forepart.  I thought I remembered having enough because I bought them for the OTTE dress and didn't use them yet.  I was also happy to find out that I have almost six yards of red linen for the skirt, so it will be nice and full.  I found the pattern pieces for the doublet shoulder and waist treatments in a plastic bag.  Now I just have to look in my sewing room for the rest of the pattern pieces. 

Tonight I need to find the rest of the pattern pieces for the Iron Dress, and stage them in the current projects baskets.  When I first got the Elizabethan pattern, I cut apart and sorted out the pattern pieces for easy access (i.e. the pieces were sorted by size and by clothing piece--all the sleeves are together, skirt pieces are together, etc.).  So tonight I will look in the places I stored those ziploc bags with the pattern pieces and pull out the doublet, sleeves, skirt, forepart, bumroll and shirt pieces, and put them into the current project baskets.  Once that's done, I can't do any more on the project until April 1, to obey the contest rules.

If I have time, tonight I want to take a picture of the sketch of the plan for the Iron Dress, so I can post it to my live journal and insert the picture in the word document I will be keeping about the contest.

P.S. I confided in Michelle that I'm entering the contest and shared with her my concern that I may be crazy to do this....  She doesn't think that I'm insane, especially since the Iron Dress doesn't come around very often.  Actually my two loose gowns would have qualified as Iron Dresses, since they were both almost totally made from stash.  The only things I had to purchase for them was the frogs for the first and the Venise lace closures for the second.  The rest of the outfits were completely made from stash material.  But sadly, when I was making those two outfits, there wasn't an Iron Dress competition running.

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded